top of page

Sex Therapy: What is it?

Sex therapy is a specialty in the field of psychotherapy which focuses on addressing specific sexual concerns. Sex therapists treat issues of sexual dysfunction or distress around sex which can include:

· low sexual desire or unequal interest in sex between partners

· sexual arousal issues

· performance concerns

· inability or difficulty with orgasm

· sexual pain disorders

· concerns with compulsive sexual behavior/sex addiction

· BDSM, kink, and fetish focused psychotherapy

· Issues of sexual identity and questions around arousal patterns

What is the difference between a sex therapist and a “regular therapist”?

At least 150 hours of sexual health / sexuality education, 50+ hours of sex therapy supervision, and specialized sex therapy training differentiates a Certified Sex Therapist from a “regular therapist”. Certified Sex therapists are first trained as general licensed psychotherapists (marriage and family therapists, etc.) and then as sex therapists. The American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) is the organization that certifies Certified Sex Therapists (CSTs).

Does a sex therapist also provide couples therapy?

Generally speaking, yes. Sexual communication problems often arise in relationships which can benefit from professional help. Some relational patterns can be expressed through sexual relationships, parenting styles, handling of finances, organization styles, etc. Certified Sex therapists are commonly trained in relational concerns and can help address unequal power dynamics and conflict in relationship.

What are common symptoms that sex therapy can help with?

· Pain during sex

· Lack of sexual desire

· Reduced Libido

· Lack of lubrication, arousal issues

· Difficulty or inability to orgasm

· Premature ejaculation

· Erectile dysfunction or inability to maintain an erection

· Sexual abuse or trauma

· Sexual identity questions

· Unequal sex drives between partners

· Lack of sex between partners

· Difficulty communicating around sexual matters

Can you refer me if I have a medical issue relating to sexual health?

Yes. Medical professionals and sex therapists often work together to achieve successful outcomes in treatment. If medical consultation or consultation with other sexuality professionals is necessary, this can be arranged. This may mean a consultation with a gynecologist, pelvic floor specialist, or urologist to discuss problems with the prostate, genital blood flow, hormone levels or other genital functioning.

Interested in scheduling a sex therapy appointment with us?


bottom of page